When I think of toast I think of sliced bread that is inserted vertically into an electric box and then pops out with brown-black lines that mirror the heating coils inside the machine. But here, toast means something different. It refers to an entire sandwich, actually. This morning I had one for breakfast. It's better than McDonald's since it contains only fresh ingredients, but it still satisfies my Saturday-morning craving for something other than the cereal or fruit or nothing I have for breakfast during the week.
In Busan, the toast shop near my house sold these amazing sandwiches with three pieces of bread and a tangy, mildly spicy sauce (like barbecue sauce but mellower.) Here, though, the toast has only two pieces of bread and a mayo sauce. It tasted like either the cabbage, the sauce, or both were laced with sugar though because some bites tasted like candy. Even still, it didn't deter me from eating it. I had the most basic "Vegetable Cheese Toast" which has a scrambled egg, pickles, cabbage, and cheese on it. Other options add things like bacon, ham, beef(?) or all of them to make it a bit bulkier.
Not bad for a five-minute walk to get a two-buck breakfast.

No comments:
Post a Comment