Sunday, December 4, 2011

Itaewon Turkish Surprise

Saturday was sunny and chilly. We headed to Itaewon because I'd been meaning to go to  High Street Market to pick up some ingredients. Once we got there, though, I ended up talking myself out of a lot of things, deciding I could actually buy them elsewhere.

After we left, we were walking around Itaewon looking for something "cheap and really delicious." Then we saw a sign for a Turkish restaurant. After wandering through a car driveway and up a set of stairs that had a slightly smoky smell, we found Kervan. Only a few weeks old, it's basically just one wide-open room. The decor felt Turkish enough to me, but Jinho keenly noted that it sort of felt like a public bath. On one wall there's the open kitchen and on the opposite wall, there's a wide-screen tv that shows the brick oven and chefs' work area. 

They're running a lunch set menu (less than 10,000 won per person), but once we started looking at it the waiter informed us that it's only available on weekends. For lunch, it wasn't cheap but it was delicious and pricewise, it's pretty on-par with most foreign food in Seoul.

We started with Haydari, a yogurt-based item on the appetizer menu. When it arrived alone, my immediate reaction was to wonder where the bread was. It was vinegary and minty and strange. Jinho quite liked it, and after I got some bread, I didn't mind it too much, either.


Our main dish was the "Mixed Grill." It was a nice assortment of chicken kebab, doner kebab, and some other meat kebabs whose names I forgot to make note of. It just came with a few pieces of bread below, some steamed veggies, a baked potato, and a small salad. It was nice to have those non-meat things to accompany the flavorful and juicy meat. It was enough to satisfy two people lunch.


We finished with Turkish ice cream and Baklava. Both very nice, although Turkish ice cream isn't really my thing. Its gelatin texture feels almost viscous to me. I suppose I am just too used to creamy ice cream. The Baklava, was rich, and the pistachios had a nice pronounced flavor. Overall, a nice surprise and a good meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment